Saturday, January 9, 2010

Homemade Fun Vol. 2

Here is a quick update for the homemade 365 challenge. (I'm still waiting for Jennifer to make a button or something, hint hint, nudge nudge)

January 7 - Day 4: Homemade whole grain biscuits
I will admit failure here. I tweaked an existing recipe that always has great results. My tweaking did NOT produce great results. So for your benefit, there is no recipe here.


January 8 - Day 5: Soaked grain apple muffins
I love my recipe for apple muffins, but wanted to make it more nourishing. I wanted a super yummy soaked grain recipe but couldn't find one I love, so I invented my own!!!! We are trying to move to soaking all of our grains (I'll do a post on the benefits of soaking grains another day... today I have my hands full with sick kids). The soaking produced a whole grain muffin that was so soft and moist... J ate a dozen by himself!

Here is the recipe:
4 cups of whole grain flour
3 cups of kefir (you could also use yogurt. If you are dairy averse, you could use water with lemon juice or whey added but I'm not vouching for the final product)
3 apples, washed and finely chopped (we keep the skin on ours)
1 cup honey
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup butter, melted
Mix the flour and the kefir in a large bowl. Cover with a towel and allow to sit on your counter at room temperature at least 12 hours (mine soaked about 36 hours).
When you are ready to make the muffins, chop the apples, combine with honey in a separate bowl, and set to the side.
Take the large bowl with the soaked flour and sprinkle all the dry ingredients on top, then pour in the eggs and melted oil and butter, then mix (it's been my experience that soaked flour gets a consistency like dough, rather than batter... it's somewhat springy and stretchy, so I did the mixing with my hand mixer). Once everything is well mixed, fold in the apple honey mixture. This should bring the consistency to more like batter.
Spoon into well greased or lined muffin cups. These don't rise very much so if you like a nice crown on your muffin fill them pretty full. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes (they took 23 minutes in my oven).
These were super yummy fresh out of the oven spread with homemade butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment