Friday, June 26, 2009

Daily Quotes

I have something of a quote fetish... I collect them. Other people collect other things... I collect quotes. So, I added this cool little widget-y thing to my sidebar with daily quotes related to learning. Not too bad, hunh? But here's today's quote (and I quote):

I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, bearding* every authority which stood in their way.
-Thomas Jefferson
*bearding=boldly confronting


These are supposed to be quotes related to lifelong learning... as a lifelong learner, do I really need the word "bearding" defined for me? Really? If, perhaps, I didn't know what it meant, and couldn't figure it out contextually, wouldn't it aid my lifelong learning to go look it up?

SIGH... it just really irritated me.

And lest you think I'm just a whiny complainer, here is one of my favorites:
My education was interrupted only by my schooling.
-Winston Churchill

1 comment: