Monday, June 8, 2009

Wrong Side of the Bed

Now, I actually get up on the wrong side of the bed EVERY morning, since I sleep sideways across the bed. This is one of the benefits of cosleeping with W, and not having Owl Poppa in my room. W and I can sprawl all out over the king-sized bed :)

But this morning, I woke up GRUMPY!!!! W was up at least ten times overnight. I don't know if it is teeth, or the full moon, or the alignment of the stars, or what... but man, I have had enough. I can't function on so little sleep. Blech. Not at all the way I had hoped to start out the week.

SIGH

After attempting to get through a few school lessons with J, while W crawled all over the back of the couch and practiced jumping down onto my head, well, I just gave up. I took a shower, loaded all the kids into the car, made a stop at the taco joint drive thru (nothing fixes a bad day lke carb loading... white flour tortillas and a 44 oz Coke... YUM), and headed off to the park.

Thing did get better. Thankfully. We were able to spend some time with my awesome friend J and her kids... check out J's blog here. All the kids got to run around with light sabers. Nothing makes my kids happier than light sabers. :)

We also had a celebrity sighting! There in the playground, pushing kids on the swings and playing in the sandbox, was one of our hometeam basketball players. This wasn't just any old fella... this was Tim Duncan. I mean the guy has won 4 NBA championships. He's been MVP twice and Finals MVP three times (I think... you had best check with Owl Poppa for totally accurate stats). Anyway, here was this awesome upper-eschelon NBA player, sitting in the sandbox at our local park. It was awesome.

Most awesome of all was that none of the folks at the park, dads included, bothered him... not even one autograph request in the hour or so we overlapped at the park... he got to just be a poppa and hang out. I didn't tell the kids who it was until after we left. And J was totally psyched... you know why? Because now he knows approximately how tall Yao Ming is... Too funny. He's been obsessed with Yao Ming lately.

I was frustrated at how little schooling got done today, but glad to be able to call it a day when needed and head to the park to reset. And now we're going to make pear muffins... YAY! Every day is better with muffins!


Pear Muffins (adapted from the La Leche League Cookbook)
2 unpeeled ripe pears, chopped finely
1/2 C honey
1 egg
1/4 C melted butter (or oil)
1 C milk
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/4 C wheat germ
Mix pear and honey in bowl, tossing to coat. Set to the side. In a large bowl, beat egg, butter, and milk. Add dry ingredients except wheat germ and stir to combine. Fold in pear mixture. Fill greased muffin cups around 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Yiled is around 16 muffins.

3 comments:

  1. How awesome about the celebrity sighting!! Too bad we didn't make it. Too bad we missed pear muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cook everything we ate from the La Leche League Cookbook (was a leader for about 10 years somewhere in there). Thanks for the reminder, I will have to dig the cookbook out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, the LLL cookbook is my fav cookbook ever! My copy got so old and worn, I just recently had it rebound (YAY for Kinkos)! My copy is full of all my hand scrawled notes about changes and modifications to recipes.
    How awesome that you were a leader! Go dig out your cookbook and make the pumpkin cornbread... It's on my menu for tonight so I can foget about how hot it is here and pretend like fall is closer than it is. :)

    ReplyDelete